Uno dos tres notary punto com?

Printed from: Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum
Topic URL: http://www.123notary.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2112
Printed on: 04/19/2024

Topic:

Topic author: jbelmont
Subject: Uno dos tres notary punto com?
Posted on: 01/29/2008 5:46:51 PM
I am thinking about creating a notary search page to help Spanish speakers find a notary. Many sites have filters for Spanish speakers to get a Spanish speaking notary, however, nobody seems to have a search page in Spanish, not even in Latin America or Spain. Getting notarized should be easier for Spanish speakers.

Roughly 5-10% of our notaries on board speak Spanish. What do you guys think about a Spanish search page? You will have to put up with my limited text on the page because my linguistic ability in Spanish is limited, even with lots of help proofreading by native speakers.

Let me know what you think of my pagina para busca notarios

www.123notary.com

Replies:

Reply author: BobbiCT
Replied on: 01/29/2008 11:11:23 PM
If you do this, please be EXTRAORDINARILY careful with at least two PROMINENT disclaimers in all languages that you advertise in.

As you know, Civil law (Spanish, Puerto Rican, Mexican, Latin America, China, Japan, Poland, France) notaries are very different from Common law notaries (most of the U.S.). If in a foreign language, it must be very clear in that language that the reader understands notaries public are not attorneys aka lawyers, judges, or anyone who can give legal advice or prepare documents. Last year Connecticut had a problem with an "immigration" notary, where the limited-English customers thought the notary was "helping prepare the documents" and the notary never made it clear he was not. Discovered when the customers went to an attorney - because immigration officials rejected their documents (incorrectly prepared and not a happy ending for the immigrants who missed filing deadlines because of rejected documents and were out a great deal of money).

As a conservative person, I would re-think this good but hazardous idea. Some notaries are attorneys; some are not - what do you do with the attorney/notaries on your site? Independent Document Preparer notaries in California can do far more than an independent paralegal notary in Connecticut. Just too many variables crossing too many state lines could leave YOU open to a lawsuit.

If the Polish, French, Chinese, Mexican, Guatamalean, Russian individual looking for a "notary" cannot comprehend enough English to find a notary here, that individual may need more than a notary to complete and sign the documents. Leaving both the notary and the individual together at an awkward meeting.

Reply author: beccafla
Replied on: 01/30/2008 01:15:40 AM
That was my first thought too, Bobbi.

In Florida, Texas and other states, translation of the title "Notary Public" is prohibited for the reasons that Bobbi has outlined.

From the Florida manual:

117.05 (11) Literal translation of the phrase "Notary Public" into a language other than English is prohibited in any advertisement for notarial services.

Florida NSA Network - "Florida's Premier Notary Network"
Need a Mobile Closer in Florida? Ask me for a referral.
FloridaNSANetwork.com

Reply author: AZSigner
Replied on: 01/30/2008 05:36:40 AM
Jeremy,

Arizona has a similar law regarding advertising notary services in a foreign language: It basically says if you're not an attorney, you must post a statement in English AND in the foreign language that reads "I am not an attorney and cannot give legal advice about immigration or any other legal matters." For the exact wording, please see the AZ notary handbook "Chapter 10. Violations of the law" paragraph# 1010

I speak pretty good Spanish and I used to put "Se Habla Espanol" in my Yellow Pages advertising here in Arizona. Arizona has a huge problem with illegal immigrants. I removed the spanish-speaking references after my first year because most of the calls I would get from Spanish-speaking people (I'd say about 4 out of every 5) would be from illegals with fake ID cards. I also had many problems with people mistaking me for an attorney, as I guess in Latin countries notaries also have to be attorneys or have some sort of legal background. In the end, it was just a big headache for me so I stopped advertising those particular services.

This is all just my opinion which is based on my personal experience here in Arizona. I'd really like to hear from other spanish-speaking notaries in other states and see what their experiences are - particularly when it comes to loan signings.

Reply author: jbelmont
Replied on: 01/30/2008 07:45:15 AM
What I was thinking is that for "notarios" in Latin american countries I will use the keyword notario. However, in the context of the USA I will use the keyword "notary public" and then explain the difference and also add in both languages that our notaries are generally not attorneys and can not assist in giving immigration advice. That seems to cover all the bases.

However, this is a big gray area. I am not advertising in a particular locality. I'm advertising on the net which is omnipresent. So, I don't know which local laws I am subject to. I think by documenting everything and making everything clear, it should be okay. I just want to experiment to see if I can attract more business for the notaries somehow. This might help a little. We'll see. Hopefully its worth the expense.

Reply author: radonotary
Replied on: 01/30/2008 08:16:04 AM
Jeremy,

I'm one of your bilingual Notaries and I lived in South America for 5 years. A Notario Publico is a very different thing than from what it is here. Down there (way down there) (just kidding), like the other Poster said, Notaries are more a-kin to Lawyers and Judges. Perhaps you might be very specific in that side of the site as to the fact that we are 99.9% Loan Signing Agents (except in N.J. of course, he-he) but regardless, if you do it, we will eventually be inundated with other types of calls but I think thats OK as we can help some who may need it. And perhaps make a buck. I'll give you a personal example. I just helped a very lovely young lady (no smirks) fill out her priliminary court application for her to obtain a divorce from her husband. She is not hiring an attorney as she does not have to. She knows I am not an attorney yet I was able to help her complete her application and Notarize her sig. and then she files it herself with the clerk. And I got paid. (still.. no smirks) OK, paid well. There are ya happy. I was.

But seriously, being real specific would be a good idea. I think.

Replied on: 01/30/2008 08:19:17 AM
quote:
I just want to experiment to see if I can attract more business for the notaries somehow. This might help a little. We'll see. Hopefully its worth the expense.

It will to me. You go Jeremy. Put my hard earned money to good use! Love it!

Replied on: 01/30/2008 08:41:56 AM
I am going to address that issue in my own way. I don't really know what their powers are, but I am going to indicate that a latin american notario has powers that MIGHT be similar to an attorney while an american notary public can only notarize documents, and is probably not an attorney and can not advise on immigration. I think I have covered the bases.

www.123notary.com

quote:
Originally posted by radonotary

Jeremy,

I'm one of your bilingual Notaries and I lived in South America for 5 years. A Notario Publico is a very different thing than from what it is here. Down there (way down there) (just kidding), like the other Poster said, Notaries are more a-kin to Lawyers and Judges. Perhaps you might be very specific in that side of the site as to the fact that we are 99.9% Loan Signing Agents (except in N.J. of course, he-he) but regardless, if you do it, we will eventually be inundated with other types of calls but I think thats OK as we can help some who may need it. And perhaps make a buck. I'll give you a personal example. I just helped a very lovely young lady (no smirks) fill out her priliminary court application for her to obtain a divorce from her husband. She is not hiring an attorney as she does not have to. She knows I am not an attorney yet I was able to help her complete her application and Notarize her sig. and then she files it herself with the clerk. And I got paid. (still.. no smirks) OK, paid well. There are ya happy. I was.

But seriously, being real specific would be a good idea. I think.

Reply author: AZSigner
Replied on: 01/30/2008 12:31:19 PM
Jeremy,

I think this is a great idea and definitely would benefit bilingual notaries, but just to be safe I would go a step further with the non-attorney disclaimer and make it say something like "notaries in the U.S. are NOT attorneys and cannot give legal advice, etc etc. Their purpose is only to verify your identity and witness your signature."

If some notaries here happen to also be attorneys then great, but I imagine most are not, and Spanish speakers should be made aware of this up front. Again, I had a lot of headaches with this in my state, and I didn't even advertise as a "notario" - I just put "se habla espanol" in my ad and people still confused me with an attorney.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Reply author: beccafla
Replied on: 01/30/2008 2:27:42 PM
I think it's a great idea, but I want you to be VERY careful, Jeremy. Make sure you DO NOT translate 'Notary Public' and disclose the heck out of your site...Something I have learned myself.

Florida NSA Network - "Florida's Premier Notary Network"
Need a Mobile Closer in Florida? Ask me for a referral.
FloridaNSANetwork.com

Replied on: 01/30/2008 4:05:08 PM
But please do it! If you look at the number of members you have in Florida and California you can see how many of us this could benefit. Like ME ME ME ME

Oh -- AND TEXAS??? are there any members in Texas??

Replied on: 01/31/2008 3:43:40 PM
I created a page today with programming. Its not accessible to the public yet. It is designed to benifit all of our Spanish bilingual notaries in the USA. We will start with a tutorial about how to do bilingual searches, and then have a special search option in Spanish. It will develop over time. Lets hope that helps. I also created pages for Spain, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and otros paises latinos. We'll see what happens.

Reply author: n/a
Replied on: 02/01/2008 05:06:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

What I was thinking is that for "notarios" in Latin american countries I will use the keyword notario. However, in the context of the USA I will use the keyword "notary public" and then explain the difference

Re-read your Notary handbook from the CA SOS. You cannot use the term "notario" or "notario publico" EVEN WITH the disclaimers.
This is a very slippery slope.
Good luck in your endeavor!

Replied on: 02/01/2008 1:16:20 PM
I am not using the term notario to advertise notaries in the USA. Its only illegal to use that word if you are advertising for those in the USA. This term is only for overseas notaries. The law is different there. Also, the term Notario Publico is the term you can not use, not Notario by itself.

Reply author: OCNP
Replied on: 06/24/2010 07:56:13 AM
This is what I have under my ESPANOL, web page: No somos abogados y, por lo tanto, no puedo dar consejos legales sobre inmigración u otros asuntos legales. Yo no puedo aconsejar sobre la preparación, borrador, o selección de documentos legales.

quote:
Originally posted by jbelmont

I am not using the term notario to advertise notaries in the USA. Its only illegal to use that word if you are advertising for those in the USA. This term is only for overseas notaries. The law is different there. Also, the term Notario Publico is the term you can not use, not Notario by itself.

Mobile Notary / Signing Agent Discussion Forum : http://www.123notary.com/forum/

© 123notary.com

Close Window